Thursday, March 13, 2008

Get Yer' Boots On!


Rubgy is an interesting sport. It makes appearances in Irish romantic comedies like Circle of Friends and in New Zealand begins with a ancient and terrifying Maori war dance known as the Haka. It is rumored to be manlier than football since there are no pads, yet the men wear shirts with a collar and lift each other up in defiance of gravity and sensibility.

Simply put--the sport is popular anywhere the British managed to conquer, which if you recall from your world history class--is a lot of places. Although they don't really get into it in India, which kind of makes sense --I don't really see vegetarians and scrums going together like naan and curry.

My husband is a rugby player. If you know anything about a rugby uniform, you can appreciate how menacing a six-and-a-half-foot male in booty-shorts can look when approaching you on the pitch. Maybe something like this.




Of course, he doesn't even wear the grey spandex anymore under his shorts, so the effect is even more pronounced. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, my man has thighs. However, his size is scary enough that some Utah sports writers included him in their sizeup to the game.

Now, there are all kinds of legitimate positions and elements of rugby that sound very dirty. At least they do to me. If "hooker", "scrum", "flanker","ruck", "maul", and "tap," don't sound like something out of a Spitzer phone conversation rather than a collegiate sport, you tell me.

All of it certainly puts confused looks on the poor freshman girls who flock to the friday night games, swaddled in their blankets because their oufits for the event are neither blue, white or warm. Classic.

Congrats to the BYU team for whalloping the Utes on Saturday. I hope my boy's ankle is better so he can get in the action sooner rather than later. Go Cougs.

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth said...

WOW! I had no idea he played rugby; I'm I just late on the news or did he recently start? I've never seen a rugby game, but the pictures show enough that it looks freakin' scary and I would never want to get caught in the middle of it.

Maggie said...

Brittany,

I am so glad you found me! I think that Mike would seem really scary from those pictures if I didn't know better!

-Maggie

Cee said...

I dont know much about rugby, except that my brother plays it in college and he always has a broken something!

Riley, Lindsay & Ava said...

Hey guys! it's your cousins in Rexburg, Idaho! I saw your link on a friends site. You guys look like you are doing very well. We were just talking about Mike and Rugby this weekend. He is one scary bloke! :)

TiAnn, Paul, & Kalispell Finn said...

Rugby seems a fitting sport for Mike! So where's the photos of you two pushing little kids out of the way at an easter egg hunt?! Britwad, I was just remembering when we went on that super amazing biking trip on the San Juan Islands, and we didn't shower for about a week, good times right?

Meagan Zastrow said...

Hey, I found your blog by skipping around. You guys are so cute. We are living in Springville now, I know that it's hard to keep up with us. Brent is going to BYU for a little while until dental school starts. Anyway, we have to get together sometime. Love you guys!
Meagan